Institutional Shareholder Services, an MSCI business, seeks to hire a full-time, permanent analyst to join its environmental and social proxy issues research team in Rockville, MD. The primary duties and responsibilities of the position are to conduct research, write reports, and make recommendations on environmental and social issue shareholder proposals that will be voted on at the annual shareholder meetings of publicly traded U.S. companies.
Key requirements for the position are strong analytical, writing, communication, and organizational skills. In addition, those interested in this position should have an interest in the role of the corporation in society and the implications that corporate environmental and social issues may have for the protection and enhancement of shareholder value. Experience in analyzing corporate responsibility and/or general proxy voting issues is a plus.
- Perform research on environmental and social issue shareholder proposals to be voted on at the annual shareholder meetings of publicly traded companies
- Write insightful, grounded, well-reasoned research reports and issue proxy vote recommendations based on ISS’ policy guidelines
- Apply an understanding of corporate environmental and social sustainability issues, including but not limited to: human rights, animal welfare, climate change and greenhouse gas emissions, corporate political contributions and lobbying, and sustainability reporting
- Contribute to seasonal reviews, client calls, and client-focused research reports
- Lead or participate in engagement with corporate executives or directors, institutional investors, and other market players
- Answer internal and external queries on research analyses, and discuss policies and vote recommendations as appropriate
- Review the work, and contribute to the development, of other research analysts
- Participate in discussions on and contribute to the development of ISS policy
- Strong analytical abilities and comfort with ambiguity
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills, and the ability to formulate and support a position on an issue
- Organizational skills, attention to detail, a self-driven work ethic, and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a high-pressure, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to work within a team-oriented environment and communicate with various internal parties
- Willingness to work long hours and weekends during peak weeks (March, April, May)
- Bachelor’s degree or higher, plus relevant work experience preferred in business, corporate social and environmental issues, or related fields
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.